A real workshop is a cherished dream of a homemaker. It is not surprising that every man, once he gets a house, first of all makes a mini-workshop. What it will be, depends on many factors, including financial capabilities. Consider what should be a home workshop, so it was comfortable and safe.
A place for a workshop
Choosing a place for a home workshop is not as easy as it may seem at first glance. Of course, much will depend on the intended activity and the availability of free space. To find a small corner in a 2-storey house for the equipment of a working place to repair the clock is quite possible, but to build a full-fledged carpentry workshop in a small apartment – not realistic. Picture from here
The most acceptable options for premises to create a home workshop are:
- in the private sector:
- annex to the house;
- summer kitchen;
- basement of the house.
- basement room;
- garage or outbuilding located in the yard of the house.
A loggia or pantry can only serve as a tool storage area. Firstly, they are often not of large size, and fully work there will be very difficult. Secondly, not only the housemates, but also the neighbors will not be happy with the constant noise. Third, the use of powerful tools can overload the house wiring.
In the case of non-noisy works or in the absence of an alternative, the inner room of the apartment in a multi-storey apartment can be used for a mini workshop. Such a variant is suitable only if you do not plan to turn your hobby into a business and disturb the peace of neighbors “knocking hammers” will be quite rare.
When choosing a place for a home workshop should decide:
- What kinds of work there will be carried out;
- What equipment, surfaces, machines and materials will be used;
- Where materials, workpieces, cleaning equipment and finished products will be stored;
- Where will be the place of communication with customers (for craftsmen planning to earn money on the business).
On this basis, calculated area. The figure obtained should be multiplied by a factor of 1.5-2. Thus, laid “stock” of working space, so that after installing the equipment, equipment can move freely around the room.
Optimal workshop size
Although everything is individual and mostly useful area is tied to the type of activity, it is quite realistic to determine the typical size.
- An acceptable minimum – to put a workbench and a couple or three most necessary machines, 6 m² is enough, but about comfortable work in such cramped conditions we can not talk about. This is the case when less is better than nothing at all.
- The average – if there is an opportunity to dedicate under the carpentry 10 m², you can and expand the tool base, and some material to stock up, and the work process will be organized much more effectively.
- Optimal – ergonomically arrange not only the most necessary equipment, but also quite acceptable to work even with large things, you can at 25 square meters. A variety of shelving units can fit in this area, as well as storage hook-ups and storage space for materials.
- Ideal workshop – if the issue does not depend on finances, the room can be 40-50 m². In fact, it is almost a workshop of an average entrepreneur, but what if the hobby turns into a source of income.
Although home workshops are not subject to the same lighting regulations as industrial businesses, common sense has never been abandoned. Windows alone may not be enough even during the day, and regular eye strain can cause eye problems. For maximum comfort we recommend combined lighting in a workshop – neon daylight lamp as main source and spot lighting of working areas.
The electrical wiring in the workshop should be made with a cable with a suitable cross section, designed for increased loads. In addition, the room must be earthed and the machines must be connected to a common earthing circuit. A powder fire extinguisher is mandatory.
A minimum set of tools
“Anxiety suitcase” everyone has his own, and its configuration is individual, but if we consider home carpentry as a mini-workshop for making or repairing simple but quality furniture and household items, there is a set of tools, without which it is difficult to do without. Here is a list of necessary hand tools.
- Hacksaws (wood and metal).
- Planer and planer.
- A set of chisels.
- A set of screwdrivers.
- adjustable wrench.
- Hammers (iron nail gun and rubber mallet).
- A needlewheel.
- Measuring tools (tape measure, metal ruler and square, level).
If you don’t have a power tool, you’ll have to buy some not very expensive, but definitely helpful tools. When you go to the store, grab a list of the most popular power tools.
In addition to hand and power tools, in any case you can not do without consumables, and there is no detail in this case, everything must be at hand. Here are the necessary supplies for the workshop – do not forget this list when you are going to equip your workshop.
- Clamps (4-6 pieces, but the more, the easier).
- Pencil, marker.
- Screwdriver bit set.
- Drills – indispensable for making hinge holes in wood and composite boards.
- Wood ring bits.
- Metal drills (2-10 mm in diameter).
- Wood drill bits (2-12 mm in diameter).
- Concrete drills – if your home or workshop has stone walls.
- If space is tight, the workbench can be made hinged, with removable legs.
- The workbench and each machine must be freely accessible from three sides.
- If there are woodworking machines, there must be free space in front of and behind them for feeding, receiving and storing workpieces.
- For comfortable work there should be more free space from equipment and racks than occupied.
- The tools used together are placed side by side.
- Everything that can be put on wheels should be on wheels for convenience.